Thursday, 25 April 2019

Reproduction of A Note on Christian Commitment written up 1in 982/83

HOW CAN I PRESENT CHRIST RELEVANTLY TO MY PEOPLE
(A paper written up as a part of my application for participation in a month-long training at Haggai Institute for Advanced Leadership Training at Singapore during 1983)

Dr B Langkham
College Road, New Lamka, Churachandpur, Manipur, India

1. Facts about my people:

I belong to India, which has a population of 685 million, which is about 1/7th of the total population of the whole world. I could not speak representatively for so large a people. Out od the 22 states of India,, my state, Manipur, is one of the smallest. It has a total population of 1.4 million of which 30% are the hilly tribal people. I belong to the tribal group, which may again be divided again into the Naga stock, and the non-Naga stock, which are of the Kuki-Chin-Mizo family. To this later group I belong. If you have read any of the books written by Dr Rochunga Pudaite of the “Bible for the World” fame, you are perhaps already acquainted with socio-economic and intellectual background of our people. Let me speak here briefly of my tribe a hilly tribe of a few thousands populations only, living along the eastern border of India with Myanmar.

Many of my people still lived in thatched houses made mostly of bamboos and leaves. A village has around 5—60 houses that are built on top of a forest hill. Most villages are accessible by on foot-path. A village usually has middle school run either by the state government or a Christian church except for the children who go to school or the old folks, every body go to paddy fields during the day time. Jhumming or shifting cultivation is the main cultivation. The jungles or forests are cleared at he beginning of the year. In March-April these fields are set on fire. Seeds are then sown and the grasses are cleared for at least 5/6 rounds in a year and then the paddy are ripe for harvest. The year’s produce are stored and it serves as food-stock for the following year during which similar practices is again carried out in the adjacent jungle. This kind of agricultural practice is a very destructive one. Today the yield is so low because inadequate recuperation time for the soil, the areas have to be
declared, year after year, by the state government as “famine areas” or “food-scarcity areas”. Search and experiments for better and more suitable methods of agriculture have been the main job of the state government.

Coming to education, since mot villages have only middle or primary school, the literacy % of our people is surprisingly rather high for such an economically backward people- being about 40%. The very few who could go to the towns for higher education remained in the town being employed there. To get an employment is the main aim of everybody. An employed person gets barely enough for making both ends meet. Self-employment is not popular.

In the townships the youngsters indulge in all sorts of vices like for example drugs, sexual immorality, etc. in examination halls cheating has become almost an accepted norm. As to get an employment one’s merit count last; more to capacity to pull strings, to give bribes and other corrupt practices. Heresy such rampant corruption was never a part of the culture of the tribal people. But it is like there with us now threatening to destroy the foundation of our society.

The situation calls for drastic action. Some misguided youth believe in ‘underground arm revolutions’ like for example the Nagas & Mizo insurgencies. Some educated young people believe Communism is the answer. But there are a few who believe that JESUS CHRIST ALONE IS THE ANSWER.

2. Ways of making the Gospel meaningful to my people:

As Dr Rochunga Pudaite stated in one of his books that “the Bible is the answer for my people”, I too believe that Christ alone is to the various problems of my people. Allow me to go back a short while to the history of Christianity among my people. In the beginning of this century, Christianity was introduced to us as an off-shoot of Welsh Revival. This brought about drastic changes in in the normal life of the people. We stopped headhunting, tribal-feuds, and nomadic type of life because of constant warfare. We learnt to wash, to wear clothes. Costly rituals and practices were done away with in society. today thanks he to the advent of Christianity, I of the second generation can express myself in foreign tongue today. A few people from us in fact today hold key posts in administration of the country. However somewhere along the path of development we lose our tribal integrity and also we miss the Christian character. I am afraid our fathers in their eagerness to bring about socio-economic upliftment in the society developed a blind eye or a jaundiced eye to the evil practices. Even the church is not careful enough to nip this in the bud. Ill-gotten gains did produce quick results. But these gains are short-lived. Today life has become more miserable.

To make the Gospel more relevant we need more ‘committed’ Christians. When a man is saved and becomes a committed Christian, his total outlook is changed. He brings in Christian principles and conducts to his particular situation of life.  A disciple of Christ in politics, state services and Christian services or even self-employment services are the need of the day. Christ-like sincerity in works, genuine welfare for the people, carefully observing the holy laws of a Holy God will bring us closer to the people. The light of the gospel in our life will make the people accept the Gospel more readily.

A committed Christian can witness by doing personal evangelism in his neighborhood. He can help others to become committed by means of –Bible study, discussion, seminars, retreat and camps. To be ‘the salt of the earth’ or ‘the leaven of bread’, by god’s grace, a change in the general outlook, attitude and reaction of our people.

Christian principles practiced in every field will meet the social, economic, cultural and intellectual needs of the people.


3. How can I present Christ in my field of specialization?

A.     Ways of integrating Biblical faith and Academic studies
As my academic achievements were not much and my faith simple ans small, there are only a few things I found difficult to integrate between the two. Eusthania or mercy killing may be much in literature. But as for me, I would never advocate. Decision for life or death is not within the scope of man; it should only be God’s prerogative. Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP), even with e high emphasis laid on it by Family Planning by my country, I would rather not except of medical grounds.
My dual citizenship in God’s kingdom and the earth do sometimes produce tension. To face is to be ready for embarrassment. Our regular official meetings are often extended with drinking and various other forms of entertainment. Not to be participating is to be the odd man out . As a result of our decision to stand aside because of Christian principle and practices in our places of work, we might be misunderstood and be molested and ill-treated. However it is in such situation as Christians by our lives we must witness.

B.     Ways of relating faith to your areas of specialization
While discussing this topic, I believe it is necessary we ask ourselves first what our attitude is to our profession. If we cannot regard our profession as a calling from God we shall find it a difficult task to related to Biblical faith in our area of specialization. For those who recognized God’s plan and purpose in their choice of profession, they can relate their faith in their particular filed also, even though there may be tension sometimes.

The motive for services for an average doctor is the enviable income it brings, promotion as result of good report and good statistics and the cause of humanity, etc. When a doctor’s approach is to alleviate the suffering of mankind his approach may be considered correct. However such an approach devoid of an awareness of his wholistic needs including spiritual need would remain incomplete. A doctor conscious only of the physical need of his patients may not be accepted as one who is aware of his spiritual needs also, A Christian doctor is likely to be gentle, caring, loving and sensitive. Even while he attends to his physical ailments, he is likely to be more acceptable and likely to be more open to discuss his other needs also including spiritual need.


C.     Ways in which your occupation or specialization can be used in Evangelism and building the Church
As a doctor who would like to regard his profession as a calling from God, first of all, I would like to care as our Master, the Great Physician, cared during His earthly sojourn. As he took care of the sick and suffering God’s love flow out through him. As one ‘risen’ with him, ‘the Christ living in me’ should be allowed to do what he wills. As we take care of his physical needs we should also witness. Dr Nghakliana Associate Worker of Evangelical Fellowship of India wrote that ’witnessing shows you are’. As everyone is not equally open to the Gospel we should witness only to those receptive for whom the Spirit of the Lord laid burden on us as we look to him in prayer. To others we can only witness by our behaviour; our life.
What disturbs my mind is – why do we have to wait to give the good news to people only when they are totally incapacitated – when they find it difficult o talk, to pray or even to breathe?

4. What are your long-term goals and immediate Goals?

Immediate Goals:

a.     Personal Bible study and Prayer
As I spend time with God daily I would endeavor to grow in His likeness ‘that I may know Him!’
b.     Family Altar
Family worship morning and evening which touch upon the life of each one of us – my wife, my children and other relatives in the family. I would teach the message of salvation to my children, we would share our problems and trails, we would pray together meaningfully, we would the fear of the Lord here. We would daily commit our life, our works and our study to Him here.

c.      Neighborhood
We have started prayer cells in the neighborhood where we study the Word of God, share and pray together and for one another.

d.     Place of work
I would endeavor to work ‘as unto the lord’. I would make friendship with non-believer friends in the office and would seek opportunity for sharing the message of the gospel with them. I would distribute tracts and Bible portions from time to time.

e.     Christian Fellowship
As I participate in various fellowships I would try too learn as much as possible from my fellow Christians and would try to imbibe in my life whatever good points I find. I would also try to encourage others by my life and experience. (People can learn even from my mistakes)

f.      Church
In the local church I would like to bring and encourage my young colleagues. I would help the church elders in Bible study, etc.

Long-term goals:

1.     Committed Christians in every walk of life
As our Lord has commanded us ‘to make disciples’ – discipleship in the Christians is the most vital for effective spread of the Gospel. In my corner I would work towards this, even though I have failed many times.

2.     Social, economic and intellectual upliftment for my people
When I was quite young I used to say that I would like to just like my father,. He was a social worker. He read only upto Class II. But he was a do-gooder. Everyone knew him and loved him. He was then called a politician. Quite different from today’s politicians for whom the people have developed fear-psychosis. Today I feel Christian should be like a politician of my father’s time. We shall see changes when the best efforts of of the state government are met by a sincere effort on the part of the people to improve their lot and not to squander what the state government give.

3.     Missionary outreach
Meaningful missionary outreach can be done by true disciples of Christ. The sent and the sending Church should be servants of a Holy God.

5. What I hope to gain from training at the Haggai Institute

1.     Knowledge of what are the conditions like in other third world countries
·      % Christians and Non-Christians
·      Methods of evangelism
·      Response of the people
·      Difficulties they faced and how they met them
·      New ideas and information

2.     Among others in the curriculum, I hope to learn as much as possible from the following subjects:
a.     The ministry of management
b.     Stewardship and reaching and mobilizing young people for Christian outreach
c.      Law of leadership
d.     Christian witness in a Non-Christian culture
.........................................

1.     The written note is typed on 24.4.2019 i.e. about 37 years since the application was typed out in a type-writer and is taken from the carbon copy of the application sent in late 1982 preserved by the author

2.     The application was successful and he attended the Haggai Institute Trailing along with Rev. Dr. Kh. Khaizakham in 1983). 

No comments:

Post a Comment