Tuesday, 18 February 2020

writing one's name


Our family surname is Ngaihte and our sub-clan is Biangtung
My father wrote his name as B Jamgou and often not add Ngaihte surname
My eldest brother use both and is popularly known as B L Ngaihte
When it came to my turn, I like to use both Biangtung and Ngaihte
But I was also sure it could get shorten as B L Ngaihte
And people could get easily confused me with my eldest sibling
so I wrote it as B Langkham that got expanded as Biangtung Langkham
and often people thought Biangtung is my first name and Langkham as my surname

in turn our children used only our surname and we became the Ngaihte family
Even my wife from a Tonsing family changed her name as Chingnu Ngaihte
So we have Esther N Ngaihte, Mary T Ngaihte Ginlianmung Ngaihte and Samuel G Ngaihte
People often asked our children - 'so you adopt your mom's surname?'

I thought at least in my Facebook i would write it as Langkham Ngaihte omitting the B part of it
Again there are others with similar name, so people got confused
And sometime it landed me into some very very awkward moments
 And people called me up or sent messages which were not really meant for me!





No comments:

Post a Comment